Japan transit visa

Japan transit visa is yet another type of entry permit offered by the Japanese government to all eligible foreign travelers. But what does transit even mean? The process of transiting is when you’re passing through an area to reach another one. Traveling to distant places is often connected with transiting and the need to have a layover in one country before reaching your final destination.

If your trip itinerary includes a stopover in Japan, you will most likely need a transit visa. Now, all eligible travelers have two options to use. One, a regular Embassy-handled transit visa or using the recently introduced e-Visa system.

Read on to find out more about the two available options and which one would be best to choose. Learn all about the requirements, visa application process, validity period, and processing times!

In what cases do I need a transit visa?

There are a few cases that allow foreign travelers to transit through Japan without any kind of entry permit. If you:

  • have an onward ticket
  • do not plan on leaving the designated airport’s transit zone
  • have a visa/entry permit for the destination you plan on reaching
  • will leave the airport within the same day

You may transit visa-free. However, if you do not meet these requirements, you must obtain an appropriate entry permit before the trip occurs.

What should I choose – a regular transit visa or an e-Visa?

This depends on your needs and the details concerning your trip. However, obtaining the Japan e-Visa is far more simple and quick. The electronic entry permit allows not only transiting through Japan but also all leisure-related activities.

You could have a longer stay in Japan to actually take advantage of the opportunity and explore it. If you haven’t been to Japan before, this could be a wonderful experience! Moreover, the e-Visa allows you to visit your friends and relatives who reside in this island country.

The Japan e-Visa stays valid for 3 months from issuing and enables its holders to stay in the country for up to 30 days. On the contrary, the regular transit visa is issued for a 15-day stay (which cannot be extended) and allows only tourism and transit-related activities, not including family visits.

What documents do I need for the Japan transit visa?

The required documents can also be divided into two groups depending on if you choose a regular Embassy visa or the electronic one. When it comes to applying for the traditional Japan transit visa (15 days), there are a few documents to prepare.

To make your paperwork complete, make sure that you have the following:

  • a downloaded completed, and signed application form
  • a valid passport that will not expire for a minimum of 6 months extending beyond the planned date of arrival in Japan
  • a letter explaining what is the purpose of your trip
  • the applicant’s face photos (that adhere to passport photo standards)
  • both flight and daily-basis itinerary of the planned trip
  • a recent bank statement
  • a recent tax return
  • an approved entry permit for the country of your final destination

What documents are necessary for the Japan e-Visa?

You’ll probably feel overwhelmed after reading that long list of requirements for the regular transit visa. We have excellent news for you! The Japan e-Visa requires the applicants to attach only one document to the application form, and that is a valid passport.

Please note! Your passport must stay valid for at least 6 months from the intended date of entering Japan.

Moreover, make sure that you have an active email address and access to any online payment method to be able to complete the process from home.

How to apply for the Japan e-Visa for transit?

The electronic Japan transit visa requirements are simple and easy to meet, and so is the whole application process. Contrary to the regular visa, which is handled at an Embassy, e-Visa is obtainable entirely online.

So, as long as you have your valid passport on hand, all you have to do is spare a few minutes to complete a quick and intuitive process. Follow this guide to submit a successful application:

  1. Fill the Japan e-Visa application form: carefully put the required data in the online form and double-check if there are no errors or missing information.
  2. Cover the fees: use any preferred online payment method to cover the e-Visa costs. You can pay with your credit/debit card, a PayPal account, PayU, or select any other from several available.
  3. Check your email box: the PDF file containing your Japan e-Visa will be delivered straight to your email inbox within a maximum of 72 hours from submitting the form.

Please note! The key to submitting a positively approved application is thoroughly checking the filled online form. Any mistakes, errors, missing or misplaced information can lead to elongating the processing time or even issues with approval.


Do you need a visa to transit through Japan?

Dozens of countries need to have a visa to transit through Japan. Check if your country is eligible to visit without a visa, and if not, apply for either a regular or electronic visa before the trip takes place. To make your layover time more memorable, apply for an e-Visa and explore Japan before heading to your final destination! Make sure to hold a transit visa in Japan airport to ensure having an issue-free stopover.

How to get Japan transit visa?

The Japan transit visa is obtainable both online and offline via an Embassy. However, the easiest option is the electronic one. You can save your time, money, and energy by applying for your visa online! Grab your valid passport and complete the application form. Next, cover the fees using your favorite online payment method and wait for the approved entry permit to arrive at your email address in PDF form!

Can I use the Japan e-Visa for transit purposes?

Yes! The Japan e-Visa is suitable for both leisure and transit purposes. You can easily make an online visa application within minutes from home. Moreover, the list of the required documents is so short that preparing takes just a few moments. All you need is a valid passport, and you will be able to enjoy a 30-day stay in Japan!