A photo of the applicant may be required when applying for a Japanese visa. However, it depends on which visa type you should choose. The only one that permits the applicants not to attach a photo of themselves is the Japanese e-Visa. All you must prepare to apply online is a valid passport that will not expire for at least 6 months from the planned date of the trip.
However, what if you do not qualify for the electronic visa system or simply need a long-term visa to visit Japan? Well, in that case, you will need to attach a photo to your visa application. But what is the best way to do that? Are there any Japan visa photo requirements to meet?
Read on to find out how you can prepare for the Japan visa application process and how you can take a photo that meets all the guidelines and will most definitely be approved by the Japanese authorities!
Table of Contents
When should I take my photo for the Japan visa application?
One of the most crucial visa photo requirements is the time during which the photo should be taken. For all regular Japanese visas, the photos submitted must be taken at least 6 months ahead of applying.
The photo must be recent for several reasons; however, it’s mainly because the Japanese authorities must be able to recognize the person applying who is to visit their country’s territory.
Further Japan visa photo requirements
There are further visa photo requirements to meet, besides the time of taking the necessary photograph.
All visa photos should be:
- clearly showing the applicant’s face and present an easily recognizable picture that shows how the applicant looks like
- taken from the front
- must have a white background
- in color
- with the sizing of 45×45 millimeters
- the face should not be covered in any way
Japan visa photo size requirements
As was previously mentioned, the visa application photo when applying for any regular Japanese entry permit should be 45×45 millimeters in size. This is similar sizing as for the standard passport photo requirements.
Overall, it’s best to follow the passport photos requirements and submit a picture similar to the ones from your passport.
Face positioning, clarity, and background requirements
Now, once you know the requirements when it comes to sizing, let’s take a look at the head and face position and background guidelines.
When taking a photo for the regular Japanese visa, remember about:
- the fact that your head height should be in such a position to be in front of the picture
- your face should be clearly visible and not covered by anything
- you shouldn’t be wearing hats, any head or face coverings, including glasses
- the facial expression should be natural, with no smiling
- the background should be white!
Moreover, the whole visa photo should be in color, do not submit one that’s black and white. Before attaching one to your application, check if it’s not blurred, over-exposed, or cut in any way.
Please note! Japan tourist visa photo requirements are just as describes in the article.
Do I need a photo to make a Japanese e-Visa application?
No! All that’s needed for making a Japanese e-Visa application is a valid passport. Moreover, make sure that you have an active email address (onto which the approved online visa will be delivered) and access to any online payment method, e.g., a credit card.
Please note! To apply for the Japanese visa online, check if your passport has the appropriate validity period. Applicants’ travel documents cannot expire for a minimum of 6 months from the planned date of visiting Japan.
How to apply for the Japanese e-Visa?
Applying for the Japanese e-Visa is as simple as surfing the web. Grab any working device with an internet connection and make sure that you have your valid passport on hand.
Follow this quick and intuitive 3-step application process to submit your Japanese visa application:
- Complete the application form – provide your data in the online form, including your name, surname, birth date, email address, and passport details. Check if there are no errors and move on to the next step.
- Cover the fees using any preferred online payment method. As soon as your payment registers, you will receive a confirmation number at your email address.
- Lastly, check your email box. The approved Japanese e-Visa will be delivered to your email inbox within a maximum of 72 hours from submitting the form.
Get your Japanese visa online in just 3 business days without the need to worry about taking a visa photo!